Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright

Poster: TitoBack Date: Nov 27, 2009 4:20pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Best Mydland song?

right now for me its "Far from Me"....Garcia Guitar is very fun on that song, and Phil has the ability to raise a level on some versions...when they are firing on this song, it rocks....the back up Garcia vocals are excellent (big fan of the Garcia back up vocal here)

Fuck you BlueDevil

Poster: spring mountain high Date: Nov 28, 2009 8:41am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

blow away 7/7/1989

Poster: vapors Date: Nov 29, 2009 4:27pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

I’m right there with you. No matter what they might say, Brent could deliver the goods with a power that got to me – and this song was the real deal. You pick is killer, never met one I didn’t enjoy - but don’t neglect this one that stands for me out when I call this song to mind – Carson CA 5/6/90 Maybe you just had to be there? Happy I was, I know that. Give it just a little bitty minute now…Hold it, terrapin too…. I loved this show. Must be my foolish heart.
(edit:link was messed up.)
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-05-06.dsbd.miller.80278.sbeok.flac16

This post was modified by vapors on 2009-11-30 00:27:14

Poster: spring mountain high Date: Nov 29, 2009 8:51am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

dominguez hills...god it was africa hot that day

Poster: lobster12 Date: Nov 30, 2009 8:22am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Yeah, I got a bad sunburn on that Saturday sow that made for an uncomfortable Sunday

Poster: barongsong Date: Nov 30, 2009 10:03am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

I was there as well but 7-7 is still the tops, Heard one from the 89 Mecca!!? recently that sounded really awesome but given my state... Needs further review maybe.

Poster: vapors Date: Nov 30, 2009 12:52pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Ha – the Mecca 4/15 & 16/89 – I missed the first night with the Blow Away due to being arrested for selling tee shirts w/o a permit! (as I recall there was no real Shakedown scene and was incautiously selling on the street.) Just listened, it seems to start out a little subdued, Brent seems a bit worn, but rallies some with the ad lib vocals.

And I agree with you, he had it all going at RFK. Carson just was the first that I thought of for some reason.

Poster: barongsong Date: Nov 29, 2009 2:03am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Good Time Blues Is another one. Not much stacks up to the blown out Blow Away's, but there are a few powerhouse versions like 8-28-81 that kick serious butt.

Poster: Styrofoam Cueball Date: Nov 27, 2009 10:50pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

'Hey Pocky Way,' but I don't think he wrote it... so...'Just A Little Light.' :D

Poster: bluedevil Date: Nov 27, 2009 10:59pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Yea, but I don't think Brent wrote "People Say" or "Africa" either....

http://tinyurl.com/yb5d2ws

Not to be an ass, but Hey Pocky Way is a Meters' original - and is a frequent song during sets by the Nevilles considering they are to the Nevilles what JGB is to the Dead (or more like New Barbarians to the Stones or the X-pensive winos). I always thought Hey Pocky Way was a shit song as done by the Dead, but then again, that's cause I love the Meters....

Poster: Styrofoam Cueball Date: Nov 27, 2009 11:33pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

'Just A Little Light,' then. :p

Poster: bluedevil Date: Nov 27, 2009 11:45pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

!

Have a good one.

I still like Tons of Steel for some odd reason. And I won't give props to Don't Need Love.

Then again, I'm sure I hallucinated him as Michael McDonald on more than one occassion.

Poster: Styrofoam Cueball Date: Nov 27, 2009 11:48pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

The resemblance between MacDonald and Mydland is truly amazing. And, have you ever seen both of them in the same place at the same time? :D

Poster: mcgannahan Date: Nov 27, 2009 10:52pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

probably the one i skip over.

Poster: bigbossdan Date: Nov 27, 2009 6:12pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-03-29.oade-schoeps.sacks.23475.sbeok.flacf

I was always a fan of Baby What You Want Me to Do. Jerry seems to enjoy it too... silky...

Poster: qbividp Date: Nov 27, 2009 8:22pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Here is some more info >

http://www.archive.org/details/gd88-06-26.sbd-matrix.nawrocki.5608.sbeok.shnf

plus Uncle John was SCRA member, so here is one that was too fun for the boyz w/ more stories to come. Take it home.... a image of Bobo dumping his 250cc vertically on a hillside.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1988-07-31.akg.thompson.motb.85999.sbeok.flac16

And Kiddies, DON'T FORGET TO REGISTRY WITH SELECTIVE SERVICES.

This post was modified by mmjCZar on 2009-11-28 04:22:54

Poster: roughyed Date: Nov 28, 2009 3:34am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

The best bit is when he shouts "that's the last fucking song I'll play for you, bitch!" because I've got a few ex-girlfriends I'd like to dedicate that to.* When was it, I can't remember - I've got a hangover.
*don't correct the grammar

Poster: qbividp Date: Nov 28, 2009 6:07am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Don't come here and give us that orange phish shit, roughy.

This post was modified by qbividp on 2009-11-28 14:07:01

Poster: roughyed Date: Nov 28, 2009 5:56am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

?

Poster: qbividp Date: Nov 28, 2009 6:09am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Without a net ?

http://www.mar-eco.no/learning-zone/__data/page/473/orangerougy-catch_400px.jpg

Poster: Cliff Hucker Date: Nov 28, 2009 6:20am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Its just our village idiot making light of your user name, which obviosly doesn't have anything to do with the fish species that he is refering to. He means you no harm, he is handicaped and has no life.

This post was modified by Cliff Hucker on 2009-11-28 14:20:37

Poster: mmjCZar Date: Nov 28, 2009 10:06am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR ISSUES ARE CLIFF, BUT HAVE QUITE A FEW OF THEM.

Poster: Cliff Hucker Date: Nov 28, 2009 1:19pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Keep up the good work and valuable contributions here Chris....

http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=277362

Poster: mmjCZar Date: Nov 28, 2009 4:53pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

I'm telling you cliff for the last time FUCK OFF. these people are more my family than will ever know.

Poster: Cliff Hucker Date: Nov 30, 2009 4:21am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

That's pathetic Chris...

But if that is the case, why do you disrepect this place and everyone here, the way you do?

Poster: qbividp Date: Nov 28, 2009 6:29am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Cliff, remember your last life ?

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/image_full/australia/admin/image-library2/orange-roughy-on-processing.jpg

Poster: Cliff Hucker Date: Nov 28, 2009 10:41am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Of course I remember, Chris, I will always remember owning the largest Tuna export company in North America and having the premier brand of fresh Maguro in Japan.

How could I ever forget how much fun it was to take all those trips on the Concorde, make two trips per year to Japan, and to live in France, Italy, Greece and a dozen other very cool places!

As you take joy in pointing out, due to the market conditions at Tsukiji, and the collapse of tuna stocks, I can no longer afford to go helicopter skiing as much as I used to, or charter Netjets when I vacation, but my investments have been doing pretty well lately, I have a beautiful and intelligent girlfriend, and I have HEALTH INSURANCE!

Best to you my little buddy, in dealing with the tragedy that is YOUR life...

Poster: ned the head Date: Nov 27, 2009 10:27pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

there is this Brent song, Over and Over, on this Matt Kelly album. I like it.

http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Wing_And_A_Prayer.htm

oh, Shining Dawn also

Poster: bluedevil Date: Nov 28, 2009 1:06pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song? [more for Tito]

Ha!

"It's one hell of an understatement, to say she can't be beat.
She's tempermental, more a bitch than a machine."

Although, the close of this first set remains one of my favorite Brent moments. A night when he made everyone else around him better. Then again, a sentimental favorite as far as the tune goes. And remember, no nets really worth cutting down until March.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd87-09-09.sony.dnc.8598.sbeok.shnf

This post was modified by bluedevil on 2009-11-28 00:58:38
NEW YORK -- The most undeniable evidence of the athleticism gap between UConn and Duke came seven minutes and 11 seconds into Friday's NIT Season Tip-Off final at Madison Square Garden. Huskies point guard Kemba Walker -- the quickest player on either roster, by far -- stripped the ball from the Blue Devils' plodding center, Brian Zoubek, in the post, turned and whipped it upcourt to Stanley Robinson. The UConn forward known as "Sticks" proceeded to finish a one-on-none fast break with no mere dunk, but rather a windmilled, exclamatory statement that put his team up 16-14.

No Duke player is capable of such a slam; by Robinson's assessment, "They're not very athletic." The best highlight authored by the Blue Devils guard who was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player, Jon Scheyer, was a double-pumping layup in the second half. If asked to pair up the two teams' starting lineups and choose the more athletic player at each position, you'd take Walker over Scheyer, Jerome Dyson over Nolan Smith, Robinson over Kyle Singler, Alex Oriakhi over Lance Thomas ... and then Miles Plumlee over Charles Okwandu. UConn wins 4-1.

Highlights do not decide everything, though, and the 13th-ranked Huskies were beaten 68-59 by the seventh-ranked Blue Devils in the first meeting of the two teams since the 2004 national semifinals. Robinson called Duke "smarter," and Scheyer, who had 19 points and five assists in the final, upping his assist-to-turnover ratio to 31-to-3 on the season, was the smartest player on the floor. UConn coach Jim Calhoun said Duke "played with a great deal of heart and toughness," something that was most seen on the offensive glass, where the Blue Devils held a 25-14 advantage, making up for the fact that they shot 28.4 percent from the field compared to UConn's 37.3.

Afterwards the debate was about what else -- athleticism. It was an issue that Robinson was not responsible for raising. The first question in Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski's news conference was about ESPN analyst Doug Gottlieb's comment, from Wednesday, that the Blue Devils were "alarmingly unathletic." Krzyzewski took the opportunity to call Gottlieb -- an unathletic point guard in his days at Oklahoma State and Notre Dame -- an "expert on alarmingly non-athletic," but then only offered a half-defense of Duke.

"We're pretty athletic," said Coach K. "We're just not as athletic as Connecticut. Singler is a really good athlete. Lance, Miles [are athletic]. Jon is not leaping tall buildings with a single bound but he's a real good athlete. I wouldn't call us this athletic team, but we're not amazingly unathletic."

Krzyzewski seemed to find the right tone. The game hadn't exactly been vindication of the Blue Devils' highlight-reel potential, but this team certainly has more explosiveness on the front line than the last few Duke clubs. "Whoever says our big guys aren't athletic is crazy," Scheyer said, pointing to Miles Plumlee, who had an excellent late block of Walker, and Miles' brother, Mason, who'll inject further athleticism into Duke's front line when he recovers from the broken wrist he suffered earlier this month. Nolan Smith said that with Mason in the rotation, Duke will be "even more athletic than people don't think we are."

This is going to continue to be a hot-button topic for Duke, in part because "unathletic" is too often used as a euphemism for "white" -- and the Blue Devils happen to be the only top-25 team in the country with three white starters. The truth about this Duke team is that they're moderately athletic, dangerous in the open floor, and aware that they'll need to defend like crazy and crash the offensive glass in order to beat elite opponents. At this juncture of the season those qualities were enough to gut open a UConn team that's still working through many early flaws -- including lack of a three-point gunner to erase late deficits, lack of aggressiveness on the boards, and Walker's inability to create scoring opportunities in down-tempo situations.

The Blue Devils came away from Madison Square Garden looking like by far the best team in the ACC, especially after their archrival, North Carolina flopped against Syracuse in New York the previous week. But for Duke, erasing the "unathletic" label may be more difficult than winning the ACC. The memory of last year's 23-point Sweet 16 rout at the hands of Villanova -- and its ultra-quick crew of lockdown defenders -- is still fresh in the minds of hoopheads, most of whom haven't forgotten the Blue Devils' first-weekend NCAA tournament losses to West Virginia (in '08) and VCU (in '07), either. So as dominating as Friday's performance was, the question still lingers: Will the Blue Devils be able to dismantle a team like UConn as well in March as they just did in November?

This post was modified by bluedevil on 2009-11-28 21:06:16

Poster: qbividp Date: Nov 27, 2009 5:21pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

The true Brent song for me (no, not far from me) would have to be "I Will Take You Home". Brent's situation was simular to many father's in this country. The next tune (weir included) is "Gentleman Start Your Engines", but I guess you need to be a SCRA head to know that triv.

Poster: skuzzlebutt Date: Nov 27, 2009 7:59pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

Not nuts about any of them, but I think over the years "Don't Need Love" has actually held up fairly well- definitely not as bad as some of the abuse would lead you to believe...

Poster: qbividp Date: Nov 27, 2009 8:29pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

....Off with your dead !

E-mail From John Barlow Regarding Lost Brent Mydland Songs

John Barlow, one of the lyricists for the Grateful Dead, provided some fascinating insight into some rare Brent Mydland tunes I had been researching. He was kind enough to provide some lyrics, as well. Enjoy!

At 1:08 PM 8/7/94 -0400, wrote:
>Hello John. Hope all is well with you.
>
>I was browsing through the Library of Congress catalog today and came across some
>unreleased Brent Mydland tunes. Specifically,
>
>Inlay It In Your Heart (84)
>See The Other Side (84)
>Long Way To Go (84)
>Take One (84)
>Nobody's (84)
>Dreams (84)
>Fire (87)
>Love Doesn't Have To Be Pretty (88) w/ you
>You're Still There (88) w/ you
>
>Can you shed some light on any of these tunes?

None were recorded except in demo form. I don't have tapes or words to the ones he did himself. I do have lyrics to the two I wrote of course, and there is a tape extant of his sole live performance of "Love Doesn't Have to Be Pretty" (which is, to my mind, one of the best things we ever did.) He performed at a benefit concert in Berkeley. The Dead never did it because they thought it was too negative.

I can still sing the version of "You're Still There" we did together, but that's about it. (Vince and I are working on another one).

> Were they recorded? I'd be very interested in reading the lyrics to the tunes that you
>contributed to. I'm a long time fan of Brent and think that his voice and playing were some
>of the most exciting things about the Grateful Dead.

I was too, of course, and I miss him terribly even today. Among the tragedies is that his songs died with him. No one will ever cover these songs and it's as certain as death itself that the Dead will never do one.

Thanks for your interest. Here are the lyrics...

Love Doesn't Have To Be Pretty
by John Perry Barlow / February 1988

It seems that we got an instinct, Baby,
No matter who plunges first.
You can look across a crowded room
And pick out the one
Who will hurt you the worst.
So fasten your seat belt, Baby,
This ride could be rough.
You know that love is gonna make me
Make you cry,
Until we both say,
"Uncle! We've had enough."

Chorus:
Love doesn't have to be pretty.
Love doesn't have to be fun.
Love doesn't have to be flowers and lace,
It can get in your face
Like a loaded gun.
It likes to tangle up your dreams.
It likes to do you 'till you're done.
Love doesn't have to be pretty.
Love doesn't have to be fun.

I got this theory, Baby
That when the Lord made the world,
He cut us all in pieces
And mixed us up
Into a crazy swirl.
We want to find the other half of ourselves.
We try on everyone for fit.
When you're sifting haystacks for needles
It's for sure you're gonna get pricked.

Bridge:
You can let it play your life.
It will franchise your blues.
It will set you up with
One loving wife
And then five or six more
'Fore it really gets through with you.

It's like we're all on a ladder, Baby.
Everyone that I know
Is in love with the one who's above
And couldn't care less
'Bout the one who's below.
It's a long climb to heaven this way.
We try not to look down.
We know if we did
What we'd see down below
Is a big pile of hearts
All over the ground.

You're Still There
by John Perry Barlow / February 1988

There will be times
When we forget the dream of reason
And set out to slay whatever
Dragons we can find.
We leave you to mind the children,
Tend the fires, watch the seasons,
And to puzzle at this fever in our minds.

And yet you stayed there.
And yet you stayed there.
When we returned,
We were pitiful and burned
Our lessons were unlearned and yet
We found you there
We found you there.

And now as I write you from this distance,
Imagining the mail come round,
Your fingers on the phone.
All the Angels singing praises,
Stating purpose, bearing witness,
Could not explain to you
The dreams that keep me gone.

And yet you're still there.
And yet you're still there.
When I get home,
Though tired to the bone
Wired to the core,
Nothin' but a 1000 yard stare.
You will be there
You will be there.

Bridge:
The risks I take.
The plans I make
The grandiose projects I undertake.
Should something fail,
Should something break,
I'm not alone in what's at stake...Because you're there.
Because you're there.

On these waves
That have carried us through seasons
We will rise and fall together,
You and I.
You'll accept my affirmations,
Forgiving me my treasons,
You'll be the one I call for when I die.

Because you will be there.
Because you will be there.
Of the many seeds I've sewn
Only one has grown
And it grew in you alone, because...
'Cause you were there.
'Cause you were there.

Poster: chinarider79 Date: Nov 30, 2009 1:28pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

brentmydland.net

.....Little Light

Poster: lobster12 Date: Nov 28, 2009 12:06pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

hey Pocky way from a cover stand point and yes....Dont need Love. I like it and I know others despise it. Even garcia

Poster: wineland Date: Nov 28, 2009 8:31pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

I enjoyed his contribution to Little Red Rooster.

Poster: fireeagle Date: Nov 28, 2009 2:05pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Best Mydland song?

i will take you home
not the sort of song i usually go 4, but it had an enormous emotional impact on me coz my daughter was born bout the time of its release. it was also her fav song when she was a lil baby. under different circumstances probably would have ignored it completely
or
tons of steel